This Halloween let’s tap into the darker side of yoga with some haunting balance work and challenging moon-focussed poses.
This year Hallowe’en falls just a few days after the rise of a new moon. I had previously questioned whether I should include a Hallowe’en theme into my classes this year but then I thought, ‘why not?’ This is modern yoga after all! Unleashing our creative spirit and making yoga accessible is what we are all about so some creepy adaptations on the traditional classics have made the cut.
If you are looking for some spirited inspiration for your home yoga practice on All Hallow’s Eve, check out some of the asana suggestions below. You can even add some atmospheric music from our track listing which is far less commercial than ‘The Addams Family’ theme tune but still creates an eerie backdrop:
Easy adaptations for most basic poses:
- Clawed hands create poise and a sinister stance
- Hunched backs create long and beneficial back stretches
- Straight arms and locked knees add a zombie feel
- Metamorphose from each animal pose for a new moon awakening vibe
- Rocking from side-to-side is just plain spooky
Specialist Pinnacle Poses
- Werewolf pose – an adaptation from Downward Dog to Three-Legged Dog to a Knee-to-Nose Tiger-esque tuck
- Spider pose -a seated forward lunge with fingers spread wide and mimicking a crawling spider
- Zombie pose – Mountain pose with a one-leg balance with the front leg and arms extended in front
- Sea monster – Add a twist to your Cobra
- Risen from the dead – Plough pose with extended arms
- Half Moon – Challenging and scary enough in its traditional form!
- And of course, we can’t forget Corpse pose…
- Lana Del Ray – Gods and Monsters (instrumental)
- Halsey – Ghost
- Florence & The Machine – Cosmic Love (instrumental)
- Chris Isaac – Wicked Game (Chillion Remix)
“The Moon is magic for the soul and light for the senses”
About the Author
Author: Amber Webster
Modern Yoga Co. is based on the south coast of England and offers a conceptual range of Immersive Hatha and Yin Yoga classes where poses are set to a backdrop of modern music, aromatherapy and colour-splashed mood lighting to stimulate the mind into relaxation and to help us surrender to the concept of ‘switching off’. We also offer Corporate Wellbeing sessions, Day Retreats and Candlelit Sound Baths as well as fun events such as Yin and Gin Yoga and Zen Hen Dos.