THE NEW WAY TO EASE PAIN, RESTORE COMFORTABLE MOVEMENT & COMBAT TENSION
Judith Johnson, Emmett Practitioner based in South Wales writes:
The EMMETT Technique is an unique form of body therapy developed by experienced Australian practitioner, Ross Emmett. This simple method of muscle release works as an effective stand-alone therapy or integrated with all other known bodywork systems to ease pain and discomfort and improve muscle restriction.
In 2007, Ross Emmett came to the UK for the first time to instruct a group of therapists in Emmett Technique. I was lucky to be in that first group and I still find myself telling people that this technique is new. When I reflect on why this is still so after 7 years of practise, I firmly believe that it is because the results are sometimes so astonishing that I am constantly surprised and delighted at how clients respond. Every result feels ‘new’ and every treatment session retains the excitement factor that I felt at the start of my own Emmett journey.
Ross continues to develop and refine his technique, travelling the World to share his work with health and therapy professionals.
Fully qualified practitioners in the UK now number over 300 with a large number of therapists in training. Included in this group are people from a range of backgrounds including complementary therapists, doctors, osteopaths, physiotherapists, chiropractors, midwives, nurses, massage therapists, sports & fitness trainers, Pilates & Yoga instructors.
Emmett 4 Animals offers courses for equine and canine professionals.
What is Emmett Technique?
A neuromuscular technique aiming to encourage the body to perform in a balanced way, an EMMETT move creates change within minutes by the application of light finger pressure at specific points. The pressure required to stimulate the EMMETT points does not need to be firm or painful. “No pain no gain” has no place in EMMETT Technique philosophy.
Each treatment session is customised to the individual, matching the exact needs of client at that particular time.
Treatment is generally performed through light clothing with the client standing, sitting or lying down, depending on their comfort. This means that it can can be carried out anywhere and anytime, as no special equipment if needed – we just need to take our Emmett fingers.
What can Emmett help with?
Practitioners using the Emmett technique develop skills in assessment both by sight and touch, applying their work to those areas that most need to be released, to achieve the maximum potential for each person to overcome their discomfort.
The typical issues addressed include:
- Back pain
- Neck pain & stiffness
- Jaw pain & stiffness
- Shoulder problems
- Elbow & Wrist problems
- Hip and Knee problems
- Thigh and Calf problems
- Ankle and foot problems
- Sports and exercise related injuries
- Respiratory & Digestive problems
- Bladder issues
- Pain experienced during & after pregnancy
- Feeding discomfort in babies
- Pain & stiffness resulting from long term disability
- Fatigue problems
- Stress related symptoms
Emmett in My Practice
My youngest client has been 6 weeks old [with feeding problems] and the eldest has been an elderly lady aged 94 who came regularly to maintain her mobility and level of comfortable movement to retain an enviable level of independence.
A Typical Day in the practice :
- The first client of the day had been unable to move her right arm above mid chest level for many months. She had been told that it was a ‘frozen shoulder’ and that it would take around 18 – 24 months to improve. Not able to work and restricted in what she could do for herself – dressing, carrying shopping, housework; she was also getting more than a little anxious about what the next year would hold. After an assessment of movement I performed three small release moves and asked her to move the arm again within her comfort level. To her surprise the arm lifted easily by an extra 40 degrees of movement. Selective release of surrounding muscles brought even more movement.
- My next client arrived with acute back pain. Being over 6 foot tall, he was spending a lot of his day at a desk, driving to see customers and then going home to help with three very active little boys. All this contributed to his mid and low back pain. Having battered his body playing Rugby he was amazed at the pain-free simplicity of the Emmett Treatment. There was great improvement in comfort during the first session. A follow up session solved the immediate issues and changes to his work and driving posture have helped his back. He continues to attend for maintenance as needed.
- An elderly client arrived for help with her balance before going on holiday. She felt less secure on her feet and there was difficulty in maintaining her posture. Working with the core Psoas Muscle and also with the muscles of the lower legs and feet her balance was greatly improved. Feedback from family was that she had gone away and walked about happily without discomfort throughout her holiday.
- A committed runner came in for what he called ‘an MOT’ before his first Iron Man competition the following week. For sportspeople, Emmett Technique is great for checking balance and adjusting any muscles that are not as flexible as they could be, bringing easier and less laborious swimming, cycling and running actions. Later feedback was that he had successfully completed IronMan Wales – a fantastic achievement.
- The last client of the day was a singer having acute problems in his neck and upper back. It seems he had been singing in a choir for some years and due to a shortage of tenors he was asked to sing above his normal singing range. He had strained his neck muscles until they felt absolutely solid! He was unable to sleep or work and could not drive his car as he couldn’t turn his head. 20 minutes later he was comfortable within a normal range of movement and left the clinic with a promise not to sing the high tenor part again!
Wouldn’t you enjoy being able to help your clients this quickly and this simply!
How can I learn Emmett Technique?
Emmett Practitioner Course
EMMETT Technique Practitioner training is designed for qualified medical professionals and complementary therapists interested in extending their skills. All practitioners are encouraged to enhance their existing practice by integrating the EMMETT Technique with their prior training. Undergraduates and non-therapists may also attend.
The practitioner training runs over 11 days and is modular in form, allowing time between modules to practise and develop skills learnt. More detailed explanation of what procedures are included in the practitioner training can be found at www.emmett-uk.com
EMM-Tech or Easy Muscle Management
The EMM-Tech Short Course was created by Ross Emmett so that non-therapists would have the opportunity to use some of his work to help themselves, friends and family. The course contains 11 moves which have been specially selected from the EMMETT Technique Practitioner Course. No prior knowledge is needed but many therapists use this as an ideal starting point before going on to complete the practitioner course. The course is delivered over 8 hours, either in one day or two half days.
About the Author
Author: Judith Johnson MA, PgDip, BTAA
Biography: Every Body’s Better with Judith Johnson
Judith has been practising Emmett Technique since 2007, when Ross Emmett made his first visit to the UK to share his knowledge with a small number of therapists. With a background in health and social care and also in higher education, Judith draws on this knowledge and her training in Bowen Therapy to provide individualised treatment programmes for her clients.
Based at therapy centres in Llandeilo, Neath and Cowbridge, Judith also offers a service to local businesses and at charitable events by arrangement.
Judith has been a tutor for the short introductory Emmett course called Easy Muscle Management or EMM-Tech. She continues to study with Ross Emmett on a regular basis, as well as with the UK instructors.
Judith can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org or through her website www.everybodysbetter.co.uk.
Emmett & Bowen Practitioner
Appointments available in Neath, Cowbridge & Llandeilo
Available for EMM-Tech Courses throughout Wales, the Borders & Beyond
Ring: 07932 347 983